spiced layer cake
1 cup butter, unsalted, softened.
2 cups brown sugar
3 large eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2.5 cups all purpouse flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground clove
1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature.
For the frosting
2 sticks + 3 tablespoons butter, softened
16 oz cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup brown sugar
4 cups powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Grease three 8 in cake pans and dust with flour.
3. In a large bowl, beat your brown sugar and butter until creamed. Beat in the vanilla and eggs.
4. In a separate bowl, combine flour, corn starch, baking powder, spices, and salt.
5. Alternate adding he buttermilk and flour mixture until just combined.
6. Pour batter evenly into the 3 pans and bake 25-28 minutes, or until toothpick can pierce the center and come out clean.
7. Allow cakes to cool completely on a wire rack.
for the frosting:
1. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and cream cheese.
2. Beat in the brown sugar and vanilla until fluffy.
3. Gradually add in the powdered sugar.
4. Frost as desired.
5. Decorate with your favorite berries and fruit :)